Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I am doing my best here

to keep a smile on my face. To show just how proud I am of my Soldier and to remember that I am not the only mother with a child in the military. I realize that my time has not even officially started since Chris does not leave until next week. I know that there are other moms, dads, spouses, children, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings, boyfriends, girlfriends and other loved one's that are dealing with alot more worry and fear than I am right now.
I read other blogs, watch YouTube videos, go to military sites and try to learn everything I can in order to show my support. Sometimes I am fearful about commenting on these blogs because I know that I can not relate just yet to what they are going thru and I do not want them to think that I am considering myself "one of them" already.
I am not a complete newbie to the military way of life. I am a "Navy Brat", two out of three of the boys are also. Their dad was already retired when the youngest came along so I am not sure if he qualifies as anything besides just a brat and I mean that with lots of love. I did time in the Navy myself and I know the rules. NEVER call the Commanding Officer, do not try to reach the drill instructors, Red Cross in case of an emergency, etc. Yep these things are something I know. But the one thing I do not know is:
How to refrain from punching every person that has never spent one day in the military that comes up to me and says: "so your son has joined the Army, guess you know that means he is going to Iraq! Or the mother of some child that says "how could you let him do that, you do realize that we are fighting in a war". I always try to smile and say "we will deal with that when the time comes", but what I really want to say is: Thanks a@@hole, why don't you tell me something that I do not worry about 24/7. Why don't you explain to me how a human being can be so inconsiderate of the feelings of others. Why don't you explain to me how you can stand there smiling when if feels like you just punched me right in the heart. And most of all why don't you explain to me why my 19 year old first born is doing something that you as a full blown adult never had the guts to do and never will understand why he is doing it. But instead, I smile and say yes and we are so PROUD of him.

God Bless all of you mothers, fathers, husbands, wives, children, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings, boyfriends, girlfriends and other loved ones that live with this each and everyday. And God Bless all of our Military members!!!!

Tami

3 comments:

Carla said...

We are all proud of him. He's an adult not like you can tell him no and send him to his room forever.

Brittany said...

I am thankful for all of the soldiers... and those who are sacrificing them- including you!!

liberal army wife said...

OK, so those others are NOT worth your time. and I remember hearing that... both when DH and son were in uniform (now DH is in uniform, Son is out after an Iraq tour) Comment! Lots! everyone wants to see that someone appreciates what they wrote, or might have an idea, or knows something different.

LAW