Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Father Time:




Can you please slow down? Can you please just freeze this moment for a little longer? I know that Chris is ready to start his adventure but me, not so much. I am not looking forward to the morning that I look in to his room on my way out the door for work and see the empty bed. I am not looking forward to our usual Wednesday night date for TAPS all alone.
I am not having a problem with Chris joining the Army. This is his dream, the thing that he has talked about for as long as I can remember. I think my problem is with him growing up. I keep thinking "it's only 16 weeks" and then it dawns on me that it is not just 16 weeks, this is it. This is the time that I have been dreading since 5:45 a.m. that morning in July when this boy came into my life. The day that he spreads his wings and really flies. I am so proud of the young man that he has become. But right now all I really want is that chubby lil curly headed blonde boy that never knew the meaning of the word fear. The one that would step in front of you the minute he saw a camera and say "take a picture of me mommy", the little boy that rode his big wheel down the stairs of the townhouse we lived in at Cherry Pt. North Carolina. And took his battery operated jeep and piggy bank to the 7 day store on base to buy candy when he was 4. The child that drug his inflated swimming pool in the living room and turned on the hose because it was raining outside and mommy said he could not go swimming. That is the boy that I want back right now.
I know, I know, it is time to suck it up and let him fly. But really would it be to much to ask for just a few more days?
God Bless,
Tami

1 comment:

Carla said...

He'll be fine. It's hard I know. I dread that day myself. I cry reading your blog. But honey I'll watch TAPS with you, since you are the one that got me hooked on it.

Hugs
Carla