Sunday, November 2, 2008

A voice on the phone


Yesterday morning our family was hit hard when we were notified that my 85 yr old Nana had been in a car accident and things were not looking good. Within 15 minutes of our arrival at the hospital the Doctor came and told us that she was gone.

I know that I have been hard on Drill Sgt's. here on this blog but today I want to say Thank You. The Red Cross was notified around 4:00 pm yesterday and we were told that they would pass the message to Christopher within 24 hours. Chris was and will always be his Nana's boy. My boys are the only great grandchildren and Nana thought the sun rose and sat on them. She was so proud of her Soldier and made sure that everyone she met knew that her boy was in the Army.

At 9:30 last night my phone rang. I knew immediately it was Chris, but without caller ID, I never would have recognized the voice that came through the phone. His voice has deepened, he no longer sounds like a 19 year old kid, now he sounds like a man. His concern for me was his first thoughts and the maturity that he possessed was unbelievable.

Chris told me that the DS that broke the news to him talked to him like a human being not just a recruit. He said that he was told to call home immediately and to take his time on the phone and that he could also call his dad. The DS gave him a phone number to pass on to us and while I was talking to Chris, my husband called the number and spoke with the 1st Sgt. He was very helpful and said that as soon as the arrangements are made we are to call them back and they will make all of Chris' travel arrangements to get him home for the funeral. He assured Mo that Chris would not miss anything important and that coming home would not affect any timeline that he is on.

I do not know how long they will give Chris but we had already determined that we would encourage Chris to make this a fast turnaround. I know that they have a big field march on Thursday and if at all possible I will encourage Chris to be back in time for it.

It was so important to Nana that Chris was following his dream that she would not stand for him to fall behind. Chris teased Nana all the time because he had been taller than her since he was about 11. It wasn't hard she was barely 5 ft tall and he is at least 6' 3" but she would tell him quick that it didn't matter she was still his Nana and she would "turn him over her knee" if she needed to. I can see her now putting that tiny foot down and pointing her finger as she said Carry on Soldier, complete your mission and make me proud.
I also want to thank Christi who is Christopher's step mom for insisting that she get the picture that is posted above of Chris and Nana at Chris' going away party. Thank you Christi, we will treasure this always.
God Bless,
Tami

11 comments:

Carla said...

Even though I know you were sad and crying yesterday when I talked to you on the phone and when I was at your house last night, I could her the joy in your voice last night when you called me and said "I talked to my baby!". I'm so glad you got that pic. I laid in bed last night trying to remember if I got a pic of them when I was taking pics that day at his party. I'm here for you

Love ya
Carla

ABNPOPPA said...

Our hearts go out to you in prayer. Your warrior will be home to take care of family and that is important to him and you.

ABNPOPPA & ABNMOMMA

Karen said...

I'm sorry for your loss. My prayers and thoughts are with you and yours. Hugs to you too.

Brittany said...

Oh, Tami, I am so sorry! I am so glad they are letting Chris come home for the funeral. Prayers and hugs to you!

joyce said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Nana. She sounds like a great lady. And I am glad you got a phone call from Chris, but sorry to hear under what circumstances. Thank you for telling us how well Chris is doing, and how he sounds like a man now. Take care, and know I am thinking about you and praying for your family.

Unknown said...

Please know my prayers are lifted for you and your family. The call from Chris was no doubt a gift to you and I am certain Nana is smiling down on her soldier. This very special lady will certainly be an inspriration for this brave warrior his entire life!

May God comfort your aching heart.

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. But glad to hear the military has been so helpful.

And that pic is awesome.

Hallie

Unknown said...

So sorry for you loss. We had the same experience when my Father-in-law died in an auto accident. The military was great in getting our three sons to Oregon for the funeral, it was bitter sweet reunion with the whole family (aunts, uncles, cousin). The boys wore their dress unifoms for the funeral and were pallbearers with their other cousins. Two weeks later saw our oldest son off to Afghanistan. This time together also served as a time for our three sons an opportunity to say good bye to their brother and we were able to get priceless family photos to hold us up in the down times. So take a lot of pictures while your son is home.

Tami said...

Thank you to each and everyone of you for your thoughts and prayers.
Nana was a very special little lady and she will definately be missed in presence but will always be here with us in heart and spirit.

Laura,
I do not think I have put the camera down since the moment he stepped off the plane.

God Bless,
Tami

Debbi (no 'e' on the end) said...

I am so sorry for your loss....you will all be in our prayers.

Courtney said...

I am so sorry for all of your loss. I'm glad Chris got to be home for the funeral, but I'm sorry for the terms you got to see him on.