Friday, November 7, 2008

Gone again

Welcome Home Son
Some things never change

Gone again

Chris is back at Knox completing his last 5 weeks of training and we are home trying to move on.
I thought I would share a little of our time together with all of you. First off let me say again Thank You to everyone that has left comments and the many emails that I have received.
This week has been bittersweet but we were able to spend time with Chris and listen to his stories and even to laugh at times.
Chris told us one story about them going on breach exercises. He said that each of them took turns having to kick in the door of a building and how when it was Matt's turn he came out of nowhere and completed a full round house kick. Chris said it was one of the funniest things he had ever seen.
One thing I observed while he was home is table manners no longer exist. He ate from the time he got here till the time he left and he did it with a spoon. They do not use forks during chow because the DS' told them that forks take to much time because food falls between the tines.
Chris got up each morning before anyone else and did his PT. He stands at parade rest when he is talking and he jumps up the minute anything is asked of him. He also called me Drill Sgt more than once. LOL
I honestly thought we were going to need a pry bar and the jaws of life to separate the little brothers from Chris' side when it was time for him to get back on the plane and head to Ft. Knox on Wednesday. The airport gave each of us a Courtesy Pass and allowed us to accompany Chris to the gate and wait with him until it was time for him to leave.
I will try to post more pictures this weekend.
Have a great weekend,
God Bless,
Tami


7 comments:

Unknown said...

tami...I'm so glad you had this time with your son, saddened by the circumstances. It is amazing the way the military transforms them...so quickly!
Godspeed, Chris!

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

ABNPOPPA said...

He will be back again, and again, and again. The only thing I tell you is you get use to it. No it doesn't get easier, you just use to it. You have the hardest job in the ARMY, the parent of a soldier.

God Bless you and you warrior.

Pops

Tami said...

AirmanMom,
You are so right, he has been transformed. I wish the circumstances had been different. But God has his own agenda, that I will never question.

Pops,
I am learning slowly but I am learning. And yes I believe you are right, this is the hardest job.

Thank you both for your words of encouragement.

Tami

Karen said...

Hang in there mom, these are always bittersweet. Always have tissues handy. I cried every single time. I think I own stock in tissues now. lol

joyce said...

Thanks for sharing. That is so neat. I am sorry it was under such sad circumstances, but Chris sounds like such a fine young man.

Unknown said...

And I'm sure you took lots of pictures! Comparing the before the Army and in the Army I'm sure you are seeing your boy turn into a man...it's amazing isn't it? Glad you had the time together.

liberal army wife said...

when my son came home over the Christmas break - the parade rest I got used to - the Ma'am bit took a while, the PT surprised me (the kid was a slug!). I'm glad he was home with you.

LAW